Has Cancel Culture Gone Too Far?

Home ADVICE EXCHANGE Survey Forums Has Cancel Culture Gone Too Far?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    SurveyInsiders TeamSurveyInsiders
    Keymaster

Use this thread to discuss the survey “Has Cancel Culture Gone Too Far?”

Emma Johnsonemmaj
    Participant

It seems like nowadays, anyone can be cancelled for expressing an unpopular opinion or making a mistake, regardless of the context or intent behind their words or actions. I think cancelling people is a bad way to deal with things and I fear it’s only going to get worse.

Sophia Thomassophia9081
    Participant

Yes! I think it’s gone way too far. I agree that respect for others is crucial, but cancel culture has taken it too far. Disagreements are natural, and there should be room for multiple viewpoints. People learn from their mistakes, but punishing them by taking away their livelihoods or public visibility won’t help. It will only get the cancelled person angrier and resentful. I’d rather focus on teaching and compromising than shaming people and hoping they disappear from view.

Michael Jacksonjackson99
    Participant

Some people deserve to be cancelled because there are consequences for words and actions. Free speech is a protected right, but that doesn’t mean people can’t react accordingly to someone else’s bigotry.

Mia Clarkmiaclark1
    Participant

I think there are different degrees of being cancelled and some I agree with and some I don’t. You look at someone like Bill Cosby, who was put in jail for his actions and he gets grouped in with someone who tweeted something 10 years ago when they were in high school. These are not equal “cancellations”. Cosby should be cancelled and not get another job as an actor while the old tweeter should probably just get a second chance.

Anyway, there has always been some form of cancel culture and political correctness. I think people are making too big a deal of being canceled and we have more of a victim culture. Some people probably go on to say something controversial and then when they get backlash claim that they are being cancelled when they aren’t. They are attention seekers. On top of that, what happened to PR firms. Didn’t they used to act as a buffer between stars and the fans that follow them? Shouldn’t they be putting out these fires by their clients? Just my 2 cents…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.